Tuesday, May 15, 2012

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:29-31

I had a great weekend considering all things. My fiance's cousin got married this weekend; so we spent Saturday afternoon and evening at a wedding and reception. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't indulge and enjoy myself this weekend; so I'll be honest...I had a dang good time!

Pre, my (soon-to-be) nephew, and I at the wedding
I've found out that, sometimes, the best policy is to "fake it til you make it." I woke up Saturday morning in a lot of pain. My abdominal muscles were throbbing. I wasn't exactly sure if I'd eaten something I shouldn't have or had over exerted myself, something I tend to do quite often. It took me quite awhile to get going, but once I did, I knew that I couldn't stop, giving up and staying home was not an option for me. Trust me, it gets old being the 24-year-old who doesn't get to go to family functions because I'm sick, or I have to leave early because something I ate isn't agreeing with me. I took a long, hot shower, taking time to let the water and steam relax my aching muscles. When I got out, I applied my Shaklee All Purpose Mentholated Lotion to my abdominal muscles and prayed the pain would subside. Slowly and surely, it did...

Getting ready for the wedding was exciting for me because, even though I'd had a rough start, I felt okay to go. I did my hair, make-up, and slipped into my LBD (little black dress). I enjoyed my dinner and danced the night away, even sipping on wine. Who says IBD always has to win...I don't.

Change of subject...

My Crohn's hasn't exactly been my friend lately. Ha! Is it ever? Anyway, due to the lesions appearing on my stoma and the color change a few weeks ago, resulting in my "short" trip to the emergency room, I saw my WOCN today in Chicago. Stoma and ileostomy wise, I'm doing pretty well. My stoma is back to its normal color. My nurse could tell that I had had some ulcerations/lesions, whatever you want to call them, on my stoma due to its texture. My skin isn't the best right now, with small, red satellite lesions that are seen commonly in yeast infections. They're definitely not your friend...

My suggestion for preventing yeast infections:
1. Make sure to keep your skin clean and dry, especially when you're changing your appliance.
2. If you shower with your appliance on (bag or barrier), use a blow dryer on low or cool to dry your appliance before putting your clothes on. If you put your clothes on while the appliance is still wet, the moisture and sweat from your body can cause yeast AND/OR bacteria to grow.
3. If necessary (get this approved by your WOCN first), use an antibacterial soap to clean the skin around your stoma and use an antifungal powder with a sting free barrier spray or wipe before applying your appliance.
Long story, short, I'm having issue with swelling. Yesterday it was my legs, ankles, and feet. Today it's my arms, hands, and knees. My GI is concerned that I may be having some circulation issues that result from multiple abdominal/pelvic area surgeries. Understandable, I have a pouch of fluid where my rectum was that hasn't absorbed, and it's going on 2 years since I had my rectum removed. I have an MRI scheduled to look at my pelvic cavity and lower extremities. It's on May 31st, but I'm hoping to get it moved up so that I won't be going through all this health stuff when my class starts June 4th. There's a good possibility that I'll have to have the liquid drained. No fun...

Anyway, as you can see, it's been quite rough lately. I've been emotional and moody; which typically happens when I'm in a flare or my health isn't where I want it. However, I can't let go or give up and neither can you. We're all fighting diseases that don't have a cure. If we give up, we're giving up searching for a cure and helping those who will be diagnosed after us. I've donated all my resected intestines to research; so I can comfortably be okay with my decision to have surgery because there's a possibility that researchers can find a cure or new treatment or gene using my diseased intestine.

Life isn't easy, and we were never promised it would be, but living with IBD allows me, and hopefully you, to appreciate life so much more. We all know that we're not promised tomorrow, and with IBD, remission isn't garaunteed. We need to throw ourselves into living, living for the moment, living for ourselves and those who will follow in our footsteps.

Don't ever give up because your fight, just like mine, is worth it.

You will fall. You will stumble. You will cry. You will scream. You will doubt your strength...but you are not weak.

IBD has given us the strength to fight, the strength to carry on, the strength to push through our struggles, the strength to see life through different eyes, and the strength to encourage others...even those without IBD.

We are a headstrong, resilient group of people that will BEAT IBD someday. Don't be scared to falter because it shows you're human, but don't ever let IBD win...

Be comfortable. Be sexy. Be you.

PS:
Gut Inspired, World IBD Day
Saturday, May 19th, is World Inflammatory Bowel Disease Day! Don't be afraid to sport your purple and celebrate your fight against IBD. If you're interested, there's a Facebook group celebrating today, Gut Inspired, https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002460941524, and they've posted the event, https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/442128402470733/.

Have fun this Saturday as you show IBD who's boss!



No comments:

Post a Comment