Thursday, May 10, 2012

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

I know, I know...It's been 2 weeks, but things haven't been quite normal around here, if you know what I'm saying. I ended up in the ER because my stoma was gray and covered in multiple, mini lesions. My CRP is pretty normal compared to prior labs; so the Humira has to be working somewhat, but there's still the possibility that Crohn's has developed on the outside of my stoma. Sadly, as my GI put it, "You're the epitome of Murphy's Law" and "You're my medical outlier." He's a great doctor, but I'm a challenging patient...to say the least.


Enough about me...


This week, we're going to spotlight Charis Kirk. She's the founder of http://fullfrontalostomy.com/, a site that is dedicated to bringing awareness to IBD and ostomies. She also has a Facebook support group titled My Doctor Knows Me Best From Behind: Ostomy and IBD Support, as well as a YouTube channel titled Full Frontal Ostomy, where she explains everything from ostomy supplies, accessories, dressing with an ostomy, and exercising with an ostomy. Charis is carrying out her dream of advocating, educating, and bringing awareness to those who have a colon; so I've asked her to write a short bio about herself:


Charis Kirk
My name is Charis, and one of the things I love most about my body is my ostomy. Before my ostomy, I was so sick all of the time that I felt like I was missing out on life. Everyday that I was stuck in the hospital or in the bed at home, I was so upset because I felt like time was standing still for me. It felt like all I did was watch everyone else have a good time living their lives while I just SAT.
One day I decided that I'd had enough, I was tired of watching my life slip away and feeling miserable all the time. I chose to take the forward path and go back to a temporary ileostomy. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Within two weeks of surgery, I was walking and jogging slowly in our local park. A week after that, I was back in the gym. Six weeks later, I had another surgery - this time to make my ostomy permanent.
While I've had my share of ostomy issues (and two more surgeries!), I do not regret making the decision I did. Because of my choice, I am excited to wake up everyday because I can't wait to see how each one unfolds. I am excited to pick out various outfits and see how they work with my ostomy. I am excited to be able to eat pretty much anything I want, within moderation...and my list goes on and on.
Life only gets better from here! 
Upper Left
Upper Right
Left
Right
Upper Left: This is the same outfit from the top of the page, the only difference is Charis is showing that with a form-fitting tank top or spaghetti strap top, your appliance will be held nicely against your abdomen, making your appliance invisible to the public. The stripped jacket is a distraction of sorts. People will be admiring the jacket's design, as well as it's odd cut - lower abdomen, rather than a lengthier jacket. The design helps to camouflage your appliance from the public too. Upper Right: This patterned, loose blouse is a wonderful accessory for any ostomate because of it's flowing design. The shirt is not form-fitting, allowing for you to disguise your ostomy while wearing it. As with the jacket, since this appears to be a somewhat sheer blouse, you can add a form-fitting tank top or spaghetti strap top to add security, holding the appliance against your abdomen. Left: Here's another stunning outfit! Charis does well disguising her appliance out in public with bold colors, a flowing top, and bold accessories. Any pop of color distracts from your abdomen. In this outfit, Charis uses a bright blue scarf/necklace, a yellow clutch, and red shoes. Instead of concentrating on her shirt, people will be noticing her eye-popping accessories. Right: Yes, that's right, Charis is wearing a wedding dress! We all have to congratulate her on her recent marriage to husband, Ron Kirk, this April. Charis said in her own blog that she chose a short dress because she knew she'd be more comfortable emptying her bag throughout the wedding and reception. I agree! A short dress is an amazing idea. As you can see, it's fitted around the bodice, but the dress flares out to allow for the invisibility of her appliance. Also, I have to mention, a short dress provides more security, meaning there's a less chance of possibly getting stool on your gown while using the restroom. However, I'm not going to say, "Don't buy a long dress" because I've picked out a long vintage gown for my upcoming wedding in the next year. It's completely up to you what you want to wear at your wedding, but a short dress has it pros - that worked fabulous for Charis on her special day. Congrats, Charis, you make a beautiful bride!


Thanks for checking in this week to see our spotlight ostomate! Please, feel free to comment, offer advice, and let me know if you've invited any of these tips into your wardrobe.


Be comfortable. Be sexy. Be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment